- Property owners Downtown have overwhelmingly voted to continue Groundwerx cleaning, ambassador, and beautification program for another 10 years. 91.4% of owners voted to continue and expand the program! [Groundwerx has the highest return on investment of any Downtown program I can rememberfdsa
- Sunday, Dec. 9th will be the first Silicon Valley Santa 5K run. It will start in the late afternoon so that participants can end their race among all the Christmas lights Downtown.
- The SJDA is launching "HER city" which will offer after-work events catered specifically for women Downtown (www.sjdowntown.com/hercity)
- The Aug. 3 and Sep 7 South First Fridays will feature an urban faire to go along with the art walk.
- A joint SJDA and 1stACT Silicon Valley "Small Wonders Fund" will provide seed money for up to 18 new Downtown activation ideas between June 2012 and June 2013.
- Cre Paris is now open at the San Pedro Square Market.
- Cafe Bon Terre (formerly Whipps) will continue to server frozen yogurt but has also added crepes to the menu.
- Zenon's Place is now open at 167 E. San Fernando and will serve Peruvian and Mexican Dishes.
- Dosa & Curry Cafe is now open at 345 S. Fourth St.
- Third and Fourth streets are being repainted with "buffered" bike lanes. Almaden, Grant, 10th St., and 11th St will be getting new bike lanes as well.
- San Fernando St. will be getting a green-painted bike lane.
- A Bike Share program featuring 15 stations and 150-200 bikes will be kicking off this fall!
- For the second year, Downtown San Jose will receive a $600,000 grant from ArtPlace. This year it will support the "Illuminating Downtown" program which will feature futuristic artistic lighting throughout Downtown [sweet!]
- Violent Crime Stats - Violent Crimes Per 1000 Residents:
- Oakland - 16.83
- Sacramaento - 7.11
- San Francisco - 6.59
- Los Angeles - 5.22
- San Jose - 3.35
Tuesday, July 24, 2012
July 2012 Downtown Dimension Highlights
Here are my notes from the latest edition of Downtown Dimension: