- The SJ Storefronts Initiative will help small businesses lease vacant spaces up to 20,000 SQFT by providing as much as a $16k grant (in the form of reduced or eliminated building and occupancy permits). Note this is targeted directly at retail, restaurants and service-oriented businesses do not qualify.
- Bike sharing goes live this month with a fleet of 200 bicycles across 20 different stations located Downtown (and one in Japantown).
- SP2 is now open in the San Pedro Square area.
- Konjoe Burger Bar is now open at the San Pedro Square Market [Josh: and it is awesome, Bray Butcher Shop is also open].
- The Fairmont is doing a $5M renovation, including mirror TVs in the bathrooms, new beds, and decor.
- The Gold Club bikini bar had its grand opening Aug 8-10th.
- BJ's is replacing Chevy's at the San Jose MarketCenter on Coleman.
- Cisco has decided to invest $50,000 each year in ZER01.
- The Hackworth IMAX Dome Theater at The Tech is one of the top 10 attended IMAX's in the US.
Thursday, August 15, 2013
August 2013 Downtown Dimension Highlights
Here are my notes from the latest edition of Downtown Dimension: