I have finally caught up with updating the Downtown San Jose Restaurants database (it has been a while, sorry about that). We are up to a grand total of 250 eateries! This is yet another record-breaking number for Downtown San Jose! To put it in perspective we were at 206 eateries in 2011.
We are up to an all time high despite some notable closures such as Blackbird Tavern, Bella Mia, and Los Gatos Brewing Company. I'm sad to see those go, but there are so many great places that opened in 2014 that I think more than makes up for the losses. Here are some of the newcomers:
- C.R.E.A.M - The famous ice cream sandwich chain opens a new shop Downtown on 1st street. Open until 2am on weekends, you will almost always see a line out the door... but don't worry it moves deceptively fast.
- Paper Plane - Not only do they serve up amazing craft cocktails here, but they have a menu that is up to par with their drinks. Try the deviled eggs and pork belly chicharron.
- First to Market - Great traditional American cuisine in SoFA, brought to you by one of the same founders as Singlebarrel.
- Taurinus Brazilian Steakhouse - Downtown gets a Brazilian steakhouse again! Great selection of meats and a sidebar with salads and Brazilian delicacies for when you need to take a protein break.
- Power Bowl - New healthy offering with Acai-based fruit bowls and smoothies.
- Garlic Bread - Finally open and providing tasty BBQ in Fountain Alley.
- Ozu Sushi - Sushi place taking the baton from Smile Sushi.
- Da Kine Island Grill - Traditional Hawaiian food, often accompanied by music, entertainment, and drinks.
- Nomikai - Asian tapas and fusion pizzas along with craft drinks.
- Louisiana Bistro - Cajun delicacies with a nice kick to them.
- Nick the Greek - Best casual Greek spot in Silicon Valley. Killer food at reasonable prices.
- Boba Bar Teahouse & Eatery - New Boba spot right next to SJSU.
- San Pedro Square Market
- Arepa Swing - Unique Venezuelan arepa eatery.
- Spuds - Awesome potato bar where you can get everything from BBQ pork potatoes to Italian Pesto potatoes. Great food and great service, one of my new favorites at the SPSM.
- SoFA Market (NEW!)
- Falafel Bar - Today's flagship offering at the new SoFA Market. The falafels here are out of this world and you can customize your sandwich or bowl any way you'd like.
- Vero's Coffee - Yet another outstanding coffee shop Downtown. I recommend the Mexican Mocha.
- Other Places Coming Soon
- Ramen Bar and Pizza Place in the SoFA Market
- M Lounge Bar and Restaurant (in the P.F. Chang Spot)
- The Continental in SoFA
Below is the changelog from the Downtown San Jose Restaurants Database:
|1/4/2014||8 Treasure Restaurant replaced Asian Gourmet at 150 S. First|
|1/4/2014||Power Bowl is open at 132 E. San Fernando (was once Blendz)|
|1/4/2014||Ninja Star Sushi closed|
|1/4/2014||Added Sweet Express to the list|
|1/5/2014||Ozu Sushi & Grill replaces Smile Sushi|
|1/5/2014||Tico's Tacos Closed, the oldest Downtown restaurant I had a confirmed opening date for (1957)|
|2/9/2014||Added First to Market, at 399 S. 1st|
|2/9/2014||Added hours and Yelp info to CREAM, one of the few dessert shops open late|
|2/9/2014||Added Louisiana Bistro at 19 N. Market|
|3/22/2014||Zenon's Peruvian closed on 167 San Fernando but has been replaced with Taurinus Brazilian Steakhouse|
|4/28/2014||La Victoria is taking over the old Tico's Tacos site at 291 N. Fourth and Julian|
|5/11/2014||Added M Lounge Bar and Restaurant, which is taking over the P.F. Chang's location at 98 S. 2nd Street|
|6/15/2014||Added Arepa Swing and Spuds (coming soon), both in the San Pedro Square Market|
|6/15/2014||Added Nick the Greet at 143 W. Santa Clara St.|
|6/15/2014||Added Mid GoGo at 185 Park Ave, #189|
|6/15/2014||Added Cafe Eden at 2 N. 1st St.|
|6/15/2014||Added Seven Seas Sushi at 130 E. Santa Clara (replaces Ninja Star Sushi)|
|6/29/2014||House of Siam closed (owners reopening Tee Nee Thai on The Alameda)|
|9/29/2014||Los Gatos Brewing Company Closed (to be replaced with gaming lounge and bar)|
|10/7/2014||Blackbird Tavern Closed|
|11/22/2014||Bella Mia Closed due to escalating rents|
|11/22/2014||City Restaurant at 301 E. Santa Clara Street replaced with Bobo Drinks|
|11/22/2014||Hydration replaced with Boba Bar Teahouse & Eatery|
|11/22/2014||Added Garlic Bread in Fountain Alley|