Today we get to discuss the latest changes to Downtown San Jose Restaurants. First off, the good news. We are up to a grand total of 260 eateries! This is yet another record-breaking number for Downtown San Jose! Our little database had 206 eateries in 2011.
As always there were some significant closures as well. The ones that stood out to me were Sonoma Chicken Coup and South First Billiards (which was a cool place, but I'll be the first to say the food was not great). On the other hand, quite a few places opened up in the last few months. Here are some notable additions to the Downtown restaurant scene as well as a look into the future:
- Lou's Beachshack - The third incarnation of Lou's Village, located at the San Pedro Square Market. I love their fish sandwiches, popcorn shrimp, and abalone sliders. This is a solid addition to Downtown and a great nostalgic return of one of San Jose's most famous establishments.
- Oni Mexicantessan - Killer Mexican sandwiches, also at the San Pedro Square Market. This is a sister restaurant to Loteira Taco Bar down the hall.
- Deluxe Eatery & Drinkery - New American restaurant on San Fernando with a notable chef (Chad Ferry: The Plumed Horse, Paolo's, Spagos). Have not been here yet, but I can't wait to try their short rib tater tots.
- Voltaire Coffee House - New boutique coffee shop at the base of 360 Residences. Downtown San Jose has a lot of great coffee shops, and this already ranks among the best.
- Aura Kitchen - New restaurant/nightclub replacing Motif in SoFA. They landed the chef from Nobu London. I've heard great things about this place even though it just opened.
- HOM Korean Kitchen - The Chipotle of Korean Food comes to Santa Clara St. and is open very late!
- Williams St. Restaurants: Added 6 restaurants that are technically within the boarder of Downtown San Jose: Sonia's Kitchen, SA-By Thai, Da Lat Cafe, Pho Cong Ly, Mi Chalateca, and Creasian. Highly recommend trying out Creasian.
- COMING SOON (Now you can find all "Coming Soon" restaurants at the top of the list)
- Hawaiian Poke Bowl (SoFA Market)
- Milk and Wood (SoFA Market)
- Vitamina Juices & Blends (SoFA Market)
- Origins Juicery (1st St., former Discovery Store)
- San Jose Pizza Co. (Santa Clara Street near San Pedro)
- Uproar Brewery (SoFA, former Zer01 Garage)
Below is the change log from the Downtown San Jose Restaurants Database:
|7/31/2015||Chef Monalisa closed|
|7/31/2015||Added Uproar Brewery in SoFA|
|8/1/2015||Added Oni Mexicantessan and Lou's Beach Shack, both in the San Pedro Square Market|
|8/23/2015||Changed the formatting so that restaurants "COMING SOON" will always appear at the top of the list|
|9/8/2015||Sonoma Chicken Coop and South First Billiards closed|
|9/9/2015||Added Deluxe Eatery & Drinkery at 71 E. San Fernando|
|9/13/2015||Added 6 restaurants on Williams St. near SJSU: Sonia's Kitchen, SA-By Thai Cuisine, Creasian, Pho Cong Ly, Dalat Cafe, and Mi Chalateca|
|9/14/2015||Added Voltaire Coffee House in SoFA|
|9/21/2015||Motif has been replaced with Aura Kitchen and Bar on South First Street|
|10/4/2015||Replace Cheese Steak Shop on Santa Clara Street with HOM Korean Kitchen|
|10/4/2015||Added Origins Juicery, coming soon to 150 S. 1st Street|