- New incentives for high-rise construction have been launched [and they appear to be working], specifically lower construction taxes, commercial-residential building taxes, park fees, streamlined permits, and several other perks which would apply to the first 1,000 units that break ground before 2013.
- SJDA launched a targeted marketing campaign for www.liveandlocalsj.com, which highlights live music venues and performers. More than 20 Downtown locations present music on a regular schedule and there are 40 that host music seasonally.
- St. James Park will host the Blues Fest on July 14 from noon to 8pm.
- Downtown Doors is expanding to 65 locations Downtown, brightening up the streets with art from local high school students.
- Blush Raw Bar & Lounge is open in the San Pedro Square Market, serving sushi and "slush" drinks.
- The Sliding Door has opened at 355 S. First, selling moving doors, walls, and room dividers in various finishes and glasses.
- Zipcar has added 12 cars across 6 Downtown locations (!)
- KQED has a new home at 50 W. San Fernando.
- Parque de los Pobladores in SoFA is being expanded thanks to a $500,000 grant from ArtPlace to turn the park into an outdoor living room for the arts.
Friday, July 20, 2012
June 2012 Downtown Dimension Highlights
Here are my belated notes from the June edition of Downtown Dimension: