SAN JOSE – The San Jose Earthquakes, City of San Jose and San Jose Downtown Association will produce a series of ten free outdoor viewing parties of World Cup soccer matches from Rio de Janeiro June 14-July 13.
“The World Cup celebrates the most popular sport on the planet. These local events will bring San Jose’s countless soccer fans together to experience the excitement of the matches in a great, community atmosphere,” said Earthquakes President Dave Kaval.
Watch 20 matches live with fellow countrymen and soccer fans at Plaza de Cesar Chavez, Market and San Fernando streets, June 14-17 and St. James Park, Second and St. James streets, June 21-22, July 4-5 and July 12-13. Top national teams will be featured:
- June 14: Colombia vs. Greece; Uruguay vs. Costa Rica; England vs. Italy and Ivory Coast vs. Japan, Plaza de Cesar Chavez, 8:30 a.m.-8 p.m.
- June 15: Switzerland vs. Ecuador; France vs. Honduras; Argentina vs. Bosnia, Plaza de Cesar Chavez, 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
- June 16: USA vs. Ghana, Plaza de Cesar Chavez, 2:30 p.m.
- June 17: Brazil vs. Mexico, Plaza de Cesar Chavez, 11:30 a.m.
- June 21: Argentina vs. Iran; Germany vs. Ghana; Nigeria vs. Bosnia, St. James Park, 8:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m.
- June 22: Belgium vs. Russia; Korea vs. Algeria; USA vs. Portugal, St. James Park, 11:30 a.m.-5:15 p.m.
- July 4 and July 5: Quarterfinals, St. James Park, 8:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
- July 12: Finals, St. James Park, 11:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m.
- July 13: Finals, St. James Park, 11 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
The Earthquakes and Downtown Association plan plenty of activities, including:
- Earthquakes prize wheel with World Cup-themed "club and country" prizes
- Preview of the Earthquakes’ stadium opening in 2015 – see the virtual field view from every seat in the house
- Soccer target shootout and other skill challenges
- Gourmet food trucks and cold beverages
- Participatory public art
- Free Starlight Cinemas outdoor movies at dusk June 14 with “Bend It Like Beckham” and June 22 with “Back to the Future 2”
- Live music preceding and following the final matches July 12-13.
The public viewing will give local fans the opportunity to cheer players from their home team. The Quakes’ Chris Wondolowski will be representing the United States, while Victor Bernardez is expected to start for Honduras.
For program details, visit: sjearthquakes.com/SummerOfSoccer.
For summer events downtown, go to sjdowntown.com/starlight and sjdowntown.com/summer